Careers Monitoring and Evaluation Associate
Opportunity International Australia is seeking a Monitoring and Evaluation Associate to support our mission to help break the cycle of poverty for families living in Asia. Reporting to the Health and Women’s Safety Program Director, the Monitoring and Evaluation Associate is a key contributor to the Programs team, responsible for social impact evaluation of Health and Women’s Safety programs. Based in Sydney’s CBD, the role will suit a passionate, collaborative and analytical go-getter with experience in the not-for-profit sector and alignment to our mission.
About Opportunity International Australia
Motivated by the parable of the Good Samaritan, Opportunity International Australia seeks to end poverty in developing countries – one family and one community at a time. By providing small loans to families in need, Opportunity helps them grow their own businesses and generate sustainable incomes so they can lift themselves out of poverty with dignity. To break the cycle of poverty for good, Opportunity also increases families’ access to healthcare and quality education, while strengthening communities to reduce the risk of gender-based violence – creating a new future for generations to come.
Opportunity International Australia is part of the global Opportunity Network – a global leader in financial inclusion, providing a hand up to millions of families in more than 20 countries around the world.
The M&E Associate will be part of a Programs team working to leverage the core assets and competencies of microfinance institutions (MFIs) - backbone for social mobilization, last mile distribution network and existing trusted financial relationships – to offer scalable and sustainable health and women’s safety programs to develop resilience and opportunity, and expand primary health system capacity on the road to post-COVID-19 recovery in Asia, with a core focus on India, Indonesia and Bangladesh. Opportunity has a growing, innovative, and dynamic portfolio of Health and Women’s Safety programs.
A passion for international development to serve the world’s most disadvantaged, and an alignment with Opportunity’s mission, value and purpose, is critical.
Key responsibilities include:
Provide M&E and programmatic support to establish new partnerships and programs in collaboration with the Opportunity Programs team
- Ability to work quickly across a broad portfolio of programs and projects in multiple countries, while prioritizing the need for evidence generation support
- Contribute to the design, planning and execution of high-impact projects including development of theories of change and strategic frameworks (Results Frameworks, Log Frames). Projects may include establishing telemedicine clinics and physical models to support healthcare access, innovative social business and fintech/health tech partnerships, resilience against gender-based violence and strengthening community health education
- Developing a Monitoring and Evaluation plan to cultivate a learning agenda and inform supporter/donor communications
- Helping determine performance and impact indicators and targets with a focus on implementation science
Support day-to-day project management and M&E against program targets and budgets
- Collaborate with partners to implement monitoring systems and designing monitoring tools for projects, for example DFAT reporting and quarterly Partner Performance Reports (PPR)
- Developing data collection tools, monitoring project activities, outputs and progress towards anticipated results
- Working with data platforms, databases and select technologies to capture, organize and visualize data
Support analysis and reporting
- Determining data analysis procedures and use of quantitative or qualitative analysis tools
- Cleaning, sorting, categorizing and organizing data, and analysing quantitative and/or qualitative data
- Review and synthesize monthly, quarterly or annual reports depending on project requirements
- Feed into accreditation and DFAT compliance processes
- Disseminate Opportunity’s programmatic insights as appropriate to donors and stakeholders in Annual Report, Bi-Annual Impact Reports, white papers, articles, events etc
- Managing third-party vendors or subject matter experts as needed
Other responsibilities as needed
Benefits and culture
- Leadership opportunity within a stellar team driven to end global poverty
- NFP salary packaging benefits ($15,900 tax free) plus meals and entertainment benefits
- Flexible working conditions
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Attractive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience
Your skills and attributes
- Bachelor's degree; Master’s level or above preferred with research and field experience in public health, gender issues, international development or a related discipline.
- At least 5-8 years of relevant professional experience, ideally managing similar research and M&E projects related to primary health services, or gender issues in low and middle income markets
- Exceptional skills in problem-solving and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, as well as structuring and executing impact evaluation studies.
- Excellent communication skills in English (including synthesis & presentation), and fluency in one or more major languages in South Asia or South-East Asia (Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Bahasa)
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong & effective relationships in a multicultural and often remote work environment.
- Knowledge of financial inclusion, public health or development sector programs, alongside global development donors, and/or NGOs.
- Experience convening communities of practice and other organizational learning practices, and tracking best practices in M&E.
- In-country programs implementation experience in India, Bangladesh, Indonesia or other low and middle income markets
Your confident, proactive, mature and professional approach, coupled with the ability to work in alignment with the values of the Christian ethos that motivates Opportunity, will be key to your success.
Opportunity is a child-safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to undertake a National Police Check and adhere to our Child Protection Policy. Opportunity is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace that values people’s differences and provides opportunities/provisions for all staff to achieve their full potential. We encourage people with disabilities and people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
Please apply as soon as possible – applications will be reviewed on an immediate basis. Social Impact Careers has been contracted to recruit this role on behalf of Opportunity International Australia, therefore please direct all general enquiries and applications to Lisa Morell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0431 874 400.