Careers National Communications Manager (Full Time)
Are you experienced in Communications AND passionate about making a significant impact in the world? Opportunity International Australia is looking for a highly skilled National Communications Manager to join its Philanthropy team. This exciting role is required to help position our organisation for significant growth as we surge forward in our mission to not just fight poverty, but end it – one family, one community at a time.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and working closely with the National Marketing Manager, National Development Manager and the CEO, this role will manage a range of communications, PR and brand activities to help raise the profile, fundraising and impact of Opportunity International Australia. Join a dynamic leadership team as we embark on our next chapter breaking new ground and having a greater impact than ever before!
About Opportunity International Australia
We believe that ending poverty is the single most significant thing we can accomplish in our lifetime. There are currently two billion families around the world living in poverty, surviving on less than a few dollars a day and lacking access to essential services like healthcare and education, and living in communities susceptible to domestic violence and people trafficking.
Meanwhile, COVID-19 is affecting us all, but is devastating vulnerable communities. Families living in poverty without savings, healthcare and a reliable income are most affected by COVID-19. Maintaining a reliable income to access food and healthcare will be even more challenging in the coming months. For families living in poverty—many of whom already rely on intermittent work—this could mean months without a sole income source. Opportunity’s work is more important now than ever.
With more than 45 years’ experience, Opportunity International Australia seeks to end poverty – one family, one community at a time. We recognise that poverty is complex, so we take a multi-faceted approach in our program areas. By providing small loans and financial services to families living in poverty, Opportunity helps families grow their own business to generate a sustainable income so they can lift themselves out of poverty with dignity. To break the cycle of poverty for good, Opportunity also works to increase access to healthcare and quality education, while strengthening communities to reduce the risk of human trafficking and domestic violence. Our work is motivated by the love of God towards all people.
The National Communications Manager manages a small team comprised of a Communications Coordinator and a Digital Coordinator to:
- Manage all publications, newsletters, brochures, flyers and other collateral
- Develop Opportunity’s online presence, including website (including SEO and SEM), e-communications and social media
- Provide ongoing support to fundraising initiatives and the wider Opportunity team through communications, collateral, letters, presentations, proofreading and participation in strategic and planning sessions
- Input into product development, translating programs into fundraising products and helping us transition our offering into new areas
- Manage PR strategy, including writing and distributing of media releases and other content for publication; ongoing media liaison; management of sponsorship and advertising activities and provide oversight to speaking opportunities
- Manage Opportunity’s brand and visual identity, including the Style Guide while ensuring consistency of message and growth of brand in target markets
- Maintain visual assets, including film, photography and presentations
- Develop and implement communication activities, oversee communications budgets, deadlines, content, production and delivery
- Lead team members to achieve communications objectives.
Your skills and attributes
- A degree in communications or journalism (or similar) with at least seven years’ experience in a communications management role
- Strategic understanding of communications
- Very strong writing and editing skills with great attention to detail
- Experience with end-to-end publication management
- Excellent organisational and administrative abilities – ability to organise, multi-task and prioritise multiple tasks
- Flexible and adaptable to change with an ability to work to competing deadlines
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- High standards of execution and ability to follow and develop efficient processes
- A practical, proactive, ‘can-do’ attitude and a willingness to contribute as a team player to the wider purpose within a small, dynamic team
- Analytical and big picture thinker
- Previous people and department management experience
- Experience as a media liaison with good media contacts
- Commitment to the core values and aims of Opportunity
- Cultural fit with the team and an understanding and appreciation of Opportunity’s Christian motivation.
Benefits and culture
- You’ll be part of a stellar team driven to end poverty
- Salary packaging benefits
- Flexible working environment and hours
- Attractive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience
- CBD office space available (Sydney) and ability to work from home
Opportunity is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to undertake a National Police Check and adhere to our Child Protection Policy. Opportunity is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace that values people’s differences and provides opportunities/provisions for all staff to achieve their full potential. We encourage people with disabilities and people from other diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org: Your resume, including contacts for two references with a one page cover letter explaining why you would like to work at Opportunity and how your skill set/experience suit the core responsibilities of this role.
- Please state the job title in the subject heading of your email
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered
- References will not be contacted without your permission
Applications close 5pm Wednesday 3 February 2021.
Early applications are encouraged as this position will be filled as soon as the right candidate has been identified.