Volunteer Events Marketing Internship
Events Marketing Internship
Start date is the week of 18 March 2019
Opportunity is a non-profit organisation that relies on the great work our volunteer team carries out. This is a volunteer role that will provide the successful applicant with a significant learning opportunity. No employment relationship will be created between Opportunity and the successful applicant.
This role will assist the Marketing team by providing support for Opportunity’s fundraising activities, in particular through our national annual event series. This role offers the opportunity to develop skills in event management and implementation whilst also gaining hands-on industry experience in international development and the non-profit sector.
This position also offers the chance to be involved in a range of wider marketing and fundraising activities such as campaigns, supporter engagement and the opportunity to attend all events held here in Sydney.
Regular staff and intern training sessions will help interns develop essential technical skills and provide greater insight into the non-profit sector as well as building in-depth knowledge about microfinance and Opportunity’s program countries.
- Support the marketing team to design, coordinate and implement our annual fundraising event series across Australia including selecting venues, arranging catering and communicating with key stakeholders
- Update and manage event resources including event collateral, timelines and procedural documents
- Work with the Marketing and Development Teams to enhance the supporter journey through personal engagement touch points
- Collect, enter and analyse data for the events using the supporter database Raiser’s Edge and our email marketing tool Campaign Monitor including managing event RSVPs and enquiries
- Assist with the preparation of post event evaluations and reports
- Provide logistical support for all Sydney based events and for other states on an ad hoc basis
- Participate in and contribute to team meetings and brainstorming sessions with Opportunity staff and program partners.
- Assist with the recruitment and training of the next intern.
The intern will have the opportunity to attend regular meetings with their manager and other team meetings as required, as well as regular staff meetings and information sessions with interns from other departments.
- Commitment to work voluntarily, 2 days per week over the period of 18 weeks in our Sydney office
- Suitable for current Events or Marketing students or graduates who are looking to gain practical marketing experience
- Creative, fun and ‘switched-on’ individual who has the ability to use their initiative and work independently when required
- Confident communicator with clear written and verbal communication skills
- Organisational skills, ability to multi task and meticulous attention to detail are essential
- Knowledge in Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel and Outlook is essential
- Skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and iMovie are desirable but not essential.
Opportunity is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to adhere to our Child Protection Policy. Some roles will require a Volunteer Working with Children Check.
Criteria for selection
Interns will be selected based on the intern selection committee’s judgement of best suitability to the following criteria:
- Commitment to the core values and aims of Opportunity
- Skills suitability (as per the application requirements)
- Commitment to the internship program
- Passion for helping families out of poverty through microfinance
- Compassionate, flexible and cooperative
- Cultural fit with the Opportunity team.
How to apply
To apply for the voluntary Events Marketing Internship, email firstname.lastname@example.org your:
- Cover letter (no more than one page)
In your cover letter, please explain why you would like to intern for Opportunity and how you think your skills meet the requirements of the role.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications close Sunday 24 February 2019. Intern start date is the week of 18 March 2019.
Applications will be considered as they are received – early applications are encouraged.