Volunteer Reporting and Research Internship
Reporting and Research Internship
Start date is the week of 18 March 2019
Opportunity is a non-profit organisation that relies on the great work our volunteer team carries out. This is a volunteer role that will provide the successful applicant with a significant learning opportunity. No employment relationship will be created between Opportunity and the successful applicant.
This role offers the opportunity to develop analytical and communication skills while also gaining hands-on experience in research, reporting and international development. Duties will include desktop and database research, editing and designing proposal and reporting content including PDF, PowerPoint, web, video and photos, and providing support for Opportunity’s engagements with philanthropists.
Regular staff and intern training sessions will help interns develop essential technical skills and provide greater insight into the non-profit sector. The Reporting and Research Intern will also build in-depth knowledge about microfinance and Opportunity’s program countries.
- Assist with production and distribution of impact reports and funding proposals for supporters:
- Interpret and analyse data sent from our program partnerst
- Conduct additional research to add relevant context on program areas and countries of operation
- Write and edit impact stories and partner profiles
- Assist with design and layout of reports and proposals in web and print.
- Source and monitor relevant academic and published literature
- Conduct desktop research on grant funding opportunities
- Prepare internal briefings on international development and fundraising
- Edit simple videos from our program partners to share with supporters
- Assist with the recruitment and training of the next Reporting and Research Intern.
The intern will have the opportunity to attend staff meetings and also training with interns from other departments.
- Commitment to work voluntarily, 2-3 days a week over a period of 18 weeks in our Sydney office
- University qualification completed or in-progress (diploma or degree – communications or international development desirable)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to learn and undertake a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work efficiently
- Clear written and verbal communication skills, with experience in writing, research and analytical skills
- Well organised with a meticulous attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
Highly desirable (any or all of the following):
- Experience with web CMS
- Experience with video editing in iMovie
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Knowledge of the Sydney financial and philanthropy markets.
Opportunity is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to adhere to our Child Protection Policy. Some roles will require a Volunteer Working with Children Check.
Criteria for selection
Interns will be selected based on the intern selection committee’s judgement of best suitability to the following criteria:
- Commitment to the core values and aims of Opportunity
- Skills suitability (as per the application requirements)
- Commitment to the internship program
- Passion for helping families out of poverty through microfinance
- Compassionate, flexible and cooperative
- Cultural fit with the Opportunity team.
How to apply
To apply for the voluntary Reporting and Research Internship, email email@example.com your:
- Cover letter (no more than one page)
- Sample of your writing (no more than one page)
In your cover letter, please explain why you would like to intern for Opportunity and how you think your skills meet the requirements of the role.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications close Sunday 24 February 2019. Intern start date is the week of 18 March 2019.
Applications will be considered as they are received – early applications are encouraged.