In a community like Niki-Niki Un, a little can go a long way…
Located in South Central Timor, Indonesia, the village of Niki-Niki Un is home to 1,059 people. Despite people’s hard work and determination, families here are trapped in a cycle of poverty.
But your $7 can help!
With your $7 donation – alongside that of others – we’re hoping to raise $777 – enough to help build 7 businesses and kickstart a village’s journey out of poverty.
CHALLENGES FACING THE COMMUNITY OF NIKI-NIKI UN
- 50% of families don’t have access to electricity
- With only 3 wells in the village, there’s a lack of clean water for drinking, washing and cooking. Some families source water from rivers, which can be contaminated
- Only 10% of families have a flushing toilet. Limited sanitation can lead to sickness
- Many families live in unsafe, temporary homes that have dirt floors and palm branch walls
- Meals can be irregular and are typically just rice or vegetables – most families cannot afford meat or fish
- There is no high school which makes it difficult for children to further their education past primary school
WHAT CAN $7 DO?
A lot! If you donate just $7, you’ll help get us on our way towards hitting our goal. Believe it or not, $777 is enough to help provide 7 small loans to families in poverty, giving them the tools they need to start their own businesses.
Small businesses stimulate the local economy, provide people access to jobs and families with the regular incomes they need to afford nutritious meals, proper shelter, clean water and an education for their children.
And its impact doesn’t stop there. As each successful business grows, the initial small loans are repaid and recycled to help other families out of poverty, too. And so the cycle continues, year after year. Over time, a whole community is transformed.