Ways to give Give Through Your Workplace
Workplace giving is a simple and tax-effective way to give families in need a hand up out of poverty through small loans. With a small loan, mothers like Babita can start their own small business, earn an income and begin to leave poverty behind.
Coming from Delhi in India, Babita used to live in poverty: “My husband used to work as a labourer, but he only earned about Rs.100 (A$1.78) a day. Sometimes he would be paid one day and then not again for another 15 or 20 days. It was so hard – our children were never fed properly,” she says. But a small loan of just Rs.7,000 (A$124) helped Babita start a food stall selling samosas (fried pastry with a vegetable filling) and other snacks. With the business, her income grew from just Rs.2,500 (A$44) a month to Rs.12,000 (A$214). “Because our business has increased, we can afford so much more for our children,” she says. “I have been able to save money to send my children to a better school. School will improve their lives, they will be able to get a job anywhere!”
Workplace giving allows you to donate to Opportunity International Australia pre-tax through your payroll. Your donation is automatically deducted from your gross salary each pay cycle, meaning that you receive an immediate tax saving as the donation is made and saving you time searching for receipts at tax time. For example, if you donate $50 from your pre-tax income, you actually pay less than $50, as the government contributes part as a tax deduction. Here’s how it breaks down if you earn $50,000 a year:
|Pre-payroll deduction per month
|Donation to Opportunity
Some employers even match employee gifts, doubling your impact and allowing you and your colleagues to have a collective impact on the lives of families living in poverty. Sound good? Here’s what you should do:
- Speak to your employer today and ask them to set up a giving program in your workplace. Or, if a program already exists, you can opt to donate to Opportunity. Fill in this form and pass it on to your payroll administrator.
- Once set up, your donation will be deducted from your gross salary each pay period.
- Your employer will provide details of your donation in your end of financial year PAYG Summary Statement.
- Opportunity can send you updates on the changes happening in the lives of families living in poverty. Just sign up to our updates here.
Monthly giving through your workplace is an effective way to make a difference in the lives of families living in poverty because:
- It’s simple, easy and tax-effective – after filling out the initial donation form you don’t need to fill out anything else!
- It enables our programs to be effectively forward planned, empowering families with long-term confidence.
- Most importantly, it means you’re continually making a difference, having an impact in the lives of families around the world.
Workplace giving is a simple and powerful way to improve staff morale and your company’s reputation while having a significant impact in the global community – at very little cost. The program is simple to administer and will provide your employees with a tax- effective way to donate to Opportunity. Not only will your organisation be viewed as socially responsible, but collectively, your team will have a significant impact in the lives of families living in poverty. You can also show your support of employees' generosity by matching their gifts.
If you’re thinking of setting up a workplace giving program in your organisation, we can help – get in touch with us today.
Calculations courtesy of Charities Aid Foundation.